ohcarrots

oh, carrots.

Practical Demonkeeping
Christopher Moore
Sunset Song (Canongate Classic)
Lewis Grassic Gibbon
The Histories: The Landmark Herodotus
Herodotus, Andrea L. Purvis, Robert B. Strassler
40-Day Journey with Julian of Norwich
Lisa E. Dahill
The Shuttle - Frances Hodgson Burnett First of all, what a RELIEF this was to listen to after finishing 'Middlemarch'. It was like having life pumped back into me. It was like I was an English manor being revived by one Betty Vanderpoel, Reuben Vanderpoel's daughter, if you will.

Secondly, the Librivox reader for this is fantastic. It was an absolute treat to listen to.

Also, yes, Betty's perfection is a bit tedious. I wish I could find out if it were originally a serial because otherwise some of the repetition is inexcusable. We get it, you know, her eyes are like bluebells under water or whatever. However, if you view each of the characters as an allegory for some characteristic of American or English qualities, then you will enjoy the story a lot more. Betty in particular must not be seen as a real creature.

Finally, as a piece of history, this is a treasure. Burnett does an excellent job of sharing the cultural differences between US & England at that time and the nature of the crumbling English estates. I'm so glad it was brought to my attention.